not.com.mercial is the twenty fourth album by American singer-actress Cher, released November 8, 2000. The album was released exclusively through Cher.com and Artist Direct, although there it eventually received a limited CD release. The album follows Cher's largest commercial hit Believe.The majority of not.com.mercial was written by Cher in 1994 when she retreated to France. The song "Born With the Hunger" was written by Eikhardt, and "Classified 1A" is a newly-remixed version of her 1970 Sonny Bono-penned song. The folk/rock-themed album with some slow ballads was proposed to Warner UK when Cher signed with the company in early 1995. Rob Dickins, head of Warner, reportedly turned down the project as being "not commercial".
In 1999, Cher decided it was time to release the record as an exclusive for fans through her website and Artist Direct. Though no singles were released, the song "Born With the Hunger" has been featured on the international version of The Very Best of Cher.
None of the songs has ever been sung live and little information is known about the album itself, although Cher's liner notes explains a lot. The song "(The Fall) Kurt's Blues", co-written with Pat MacDonald of Timbuk3 and Bruce Roberts, is her tribute to rock singer Kurt Cobain, who committed suicide in 1994.
Track listingNo. Title Writer(s) Length
1. "Still" Cher, Bruce Roberts, Bob Thiele 6:15
2. "Sisters of Mercy" Cher, Pat MacDonald, Roberts 5:01
3. "Runnin'" Cher, MacDonald, Roberts 3:56
4. "Born With the Hunger" Shirley Eikhard 4:05
5. "(The Fall) Kurt's Blues" Cher, MacDonald, Roberts 5:17
6. "With or Without You" Cher 3:45
7. "Fit to Fly" Cher, Doug Millett, Kevin Savigar 3:53
8. "Disaster Cake" Cher, MacDonald, Roberts 3:25
9. "Our Lady of San Francisco" Cher, Michael Garvin, Rich Wayland 2:15
10. "Classified 1A" Sonny Bono 2:55